Womans Leinster League Division 3: Athy 27 Longford 10 2016-01-18 11:20:00

The  Longford Canterbury Warriors headed to Athy on Sunday last and with only 14 players available it was going to be a tough day.  Athy sportingly dropped to 14 players as well. Longford received the kick off and were putting the phases together but unfortunately lost captain Mairead Coy to a knee injury after only 2 minutes. This meant with no subs to call on they went down to 13. This rocked the team, but they managed to work their way up with some good forward play.  Under pressure Athy conceded a penalty which scrum half McGoey took quickly gaining good ground. The ball was then spread out the back line with Cliodhna O'Donnell sucking in a few defender's and offloading to Kirsty Smyth who gave the perfect pass to Carol Manning to run in for the first try of the match.
However, Athy came right back at Longford and it wasn't long before they ran in a try in the corner to leave the score five all.  Longford then went on the attack and worked their way up the field.  However, Athy managed to intercept a Longford pass and run in a try which was converted to put them 12 to 5 up.
Longford were feeling the pressure now and with Athy on the attack they conceded a penalty which was converted to leave the score 15 to 5. The going was tough for Longford but with Lisa Brady, Amanda Lennon and Emma Mulvey working hard they endeavoured to steady the ship. However, Athy again worked the ball well out the back line and ran in another try. 20 to 5.  Longford then lost Nuala McGoey to an injury and were now down to 12; with things not working in the Warriors favour Athy managed to run in another try which was converted 27 to 5. Half time
The Warriors came out fighting in the second half and with Nuala coming back on were back up to 13. Claire Clabby put in some great tackles in the centre and with out half Helen Conefrey controlling play they forced Athy into conceding a penalty 5 metres out. Up stepped Leanne Early and with Tina Edwards behind her and half the Athy team hanging onto her she powered over the line for her first ever try to leave the score at 27 to 10.
The Warriors were now starting to get back into the game and with Sharon Leonard working hard to gain ground they found themselves spending most of the second half on the attack. Great work at the breakdown saw Irene Murtagh steal the ball but try as they might the Warriors couldn't add to their score it ended 27 to 10.
This was a very tough day at the office for the Warriors, having had a disaster of a first half they showed great team spirit to come out and win the second half. We wish Mairead Coy a speedy recovery.
Next up is Greystones in Longford at 1pm this Sunday

Powered By: Sportlomo - Online Sports Software
Website Designed By: Sports Manager

powered by Sportlomo.com